UNIDO Side-Event @Rio+20 – Sustainable Industrial Development: Do We Need a Green Industrial Policy?
Sunday, 17 June 2012, 13:30 ‐ 15:00, Room T‐3, RIOCENTRO
UNIDO invites you to join us for the side-event “Sustainable Industrial Development: Do We Need a Green Industrial Policy?”
Industrial policy has made a forceful comeback. The global economic and financial crisis demanded swift action by governments to support and restructure productive activities, and industry in particular, in order to protect employment. At the same time, global challenges such as climate change cannot be addressed without decisive policy changes in industry‐related incentives and regulations.
The conditions are ripe for placing industrial policy at the core of the policy agenda for green growth and sustainable development. The side‐event will focus on how to widen the scope of traditional industrial policy to incorporate environmental objectives. It aims at discussing the fundamental sustainability choices in terms of industrial growth, employment generation, social inclusiveness and conservation of the environment.
- Tilman Altenburg, Head of Department, German Development Institute
- Alicia Bárcena, Executive Secretary, Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Andrew Steer, Special Envoy for Climate Change, World Bank
- Alessandro Teixeira, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade, Brazil
- Kandeh Yumkella, Director‐General, United Nations Industrial Development Organization
• Wilfried Luetkenhorst, Managing Director, UNIDO
Questions for debate:
- How can industrial policy reconcile growth, employment and sustainability objectives?
- With climate change as a ‘market failure’, how can public policy get it right?
- What can developing country governments do to promote the adoption of emerging green technologies and pursue low‐carbon, resource‐efficient growth strategies?
- What is the role of the business community?
Questions? Please contact:
Director, Development Policy, Statistics and Research Branch
United Nations Industrial Development Organization